April 3, 2023
Do you know why photographers are priced differently? So many things go into becoming a photographer. All of the information below is my opinion and how I run my business. Not all photographers do what I do so please read this with grace.
COST of Doing Business
- COG (Cost of doing business)
- Office Supplies
- Lab fees
Why are photographers priced so differently?
Newborn photographers need a special skill set. When we say it takes an average of 3 hours to do a newborn shoot, we are not shooting the entire time. A true professional photographer learns how to pose safely, spend lots of time soothing, changing diapers, and stopping multiple times for nursing or feeding. When it comes to newborn photography, you want to make sure you hire not only for the style of work they do but their experience. SAFETY IS KEY.
So how do you know if you if you’re picking the right newborn photographer?
I always like to do a discovery call on zoom to meet my clients first to make we are a great fit.
When I first became a mom, I wanted to know to who I was handing over my baby. Do they even have kids? Do they have shots? Is their studio clean? Do they have insurance? These were things important to me. I wanted to also give business to someone who I liked. WHAT IS IMPORTANT TO YOU?
Different types of photographers
When they say they are a “photographer” what does that mean? I mean anyone can be one these days, right? Are they just a mom who does this for fun? A side hustle? Or someone who does this as a full time job ? Do you want someone who clicks and hands over digital files with 30 images that look similar and you have to figure out how to print them? DO you think shutterfly is the way to go cause it’s cheap? Then go with them.
Here is a list of basic types of newborn/family photographers :
- Shoot and burners – they literally, just show up, shoot, and send you a link and you are done. No selling of products “Burn” comes from the term when we used to burn images onto CDs.
- Photographers who do in-person sales – They will have a session and then sell you products of they shot.
- Hybrid Photographer- shoot and sell a combination of both.
A Photography business goes so deep it is not only just taking photos. But even that, does your photographer constantly educate themselves? How are their editing skills? Have they won awards? Teach? There is such a long scale from amateur photographer to professional photographer it really is what you are looking for.
Some people just want only digital files and print on their own. Which is absolutely okay.
5 things I would look for in a photographer
- Do I like their aesthetic? Do I like their lighting, editing style, and overall feel?
- What is included in their package? This is different for everyone.
- Is their work consistent? Photographers tend to put their best work up on their sites. So if they are not consistent you may want to go with someone else.
- Their experience. If I am looking for a newborn photographer, I personally would look to see if they are a mother themselves. Not that if they didn’t it’s bad but they have so much more hands on experience. Newborns don’t come with manuals and I would want someone who has the experience to know how to sooth and know what type of crys mean what.
- Do I trust them?Like them? I need to make sure I can hand over my newborn and trust her with my precious family.
What we do and and why photographers are priced differently
At Kawada Photography, we sought out the best of the best products from all over the world. I have been to expos and conventions year after year to see the newest and the best and learn from the most innovative most sought business mentors and photographers. I have experience having four children of my own and 11 years of photography business experience.
If you would like a session, please book a discovery call so we can go over your vision and you can get to know me and see if we are a great fit. You can see more of my work on my IG/FB accounts: @kawadaphotography. I can’t wait to speak to you!